Thursday, November 27, 2008


SHAHEEN

It seems that a University in Saudi Arabia is having a computer built for them in The United States that will be as powerful as a million desktops. Whether they will let women use it, remains to be seen..... The Saudi Arabians apparently have one quarter of the world's oil reserves. Deficits must seem as abstract to them as hyper super dooper computers do to us. I was going to post a learned article on this by copying it from another source, but my primitive laptop won't copy that for some reason. The dog is hungry, the cat malcontent and the wyf missing. Almost adult children are milling round me asking plaintively,"where's Mummy, Dad?". And so we leave Balham, gateway to the South. If anyone knows what the hell I mean by that, let him show himself, or let her show herself.

3 comments:

John Burgess said...

Actually, KAUST is an exception in many regards to normal Saudi rules. It is to be coed, with mixed gender students and faculty. The Saudi religious police will not be permitted on campus.

Here's what the New York Times had to say after the groundbreaking in 2007.

If your intent was only to make a point about Saudi Arabia, I guess you don't have to bother.

If, however, you're interested in what's actually happening in Saudi Arabia, you might want to take a look at my blog Crossroads Arabia.

marc aurel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marc aurel said...

I did not mean at all to be part of a Saudi bashing public. I apologise. I went to your site and found it very interesting and it took me beyond my "Lawrence of Arabia" prejudices. I am delighted that Saudi women will be more fully included.