Friday, July 25, 2008



The other day, I was writing a review of "No Country for Old Men" and I was trying to express the way I felt about films in general, by saying that they owed more to nineteenth century opera than to novels and plays. I have just found a quote by Stanley Kubrick that says it much better:

"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later.
"If the film stirs the emotions and penetrates the subconscious of the viewer, if it stimulates, however inchoately, his mythological and religious yearnings and impulses, then it has succeeded."

This is why I found the Coen brothers film insensitive and the Anderson film "There Will Be Blood" brilliant.

No comments: