Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Una furtiva lagrima (A furtive tear) is the romanza taken from Act II, Scene VIII of the Italian opera, L'elisir d'amore by Gaetano Donizetti. It is sung by Nemorino (tenor) when he finds that the love potion he bought to win his dream lady’s heart, Adina, works.
Nemorino is in love with Adina, but she isn't interested in a relationship with an innocent, rustic man. To win her heart, Nemorino buys a “love potion” with all the money he has in his pocket. The “love potion” is actually a cheap red wine sold by a traveling con man. But when he sees Adina weeping, he knows that she has fallen in love with him and the “Elixir” works.
Contents[hide]

Una furtiva lagrimanegli, One furtive secret tear,
occhi suoi spuntò: from her eyes did spring:
Quelle festose giovani invidiar sembrò. As if those youths who can be playful it ( or she ) seemed to be envious of.
Che più cercando io vo? What more searching do I want?
Che più cercando io vo? What more searching do I want?
M'ama! Sì, m'ama, lo vedo. Lo vedo. She loves me! Yes, she loves me, I see it. I see it.
Un solo instante i palpitidel suo bel cor sentir! Just for an instant the beats of her beautiful heart, (if), I could feel!
I miei sospir, confondere per poco a' suoi sospir! My sighs, if they were mingled for a while with her sighs!
I palpiti, i palpiti sentir,confondere i miei coi suoi sospir... The beats, the beats of her heart, if I could feel, to fuse my sighs with hers...
Cielo! Si può morir! Di più non chiedo, non chiedo. Heavens! Yes, I could die! I ask for nothing more, nothing.
Ah, cielo! Si può! Si, può morir! Oh, heavens! Yes, I could. I could die!
Di più non chiedo, non chiedo. I ask for nothing more, nothing.
Si può morire! Si può morir d'amor. Yes, I could die! Yes, I could die of love.

No comments: